Wednesday 10 July 2013

Book Review: Pivot Point by Kasie West (Pivot Point #1)

So I read this  while back and OH SHIT I THINK IT'S OVERDUE AT THE LIBRARY HOLD ON.
Okay.

Title: Pivot Point (Pivot Point #1)
Author: Kasie West
Genre: Fantasy (kinda...?), Paranormal, Romace (ooh yes a lot of romance indeed)
Publication Date: 12 February 2013
Warnings: Err... I guess it's a teen book so you know, making out and all that ladadada.






Synopsis:

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.



Review:

You see. this is exactly the kind of synopsis that all books should have. Mystery to inspire the reader, a peek into the fantasy of the book, yet giving the reader the completely wrong idea so that they'll be surprised when they read the book. Purrrrfect. :3

I picked this book up randomly at the library. It looked vaguely interesting. I must say it surprised me. It was actually pretty different from most other books, while not straying so far from the conventions that it came out plain weird. 

We have our protagonist Addie, who, to be honest, is a rather confusing character. The story is told from Addie's perspective, and changes between the two timelines every few chapters. See, that's what confused me in the beginning. There wasn't much of a warning when the narrative suddenly split in two. Initially it was confusing, but it turned out okay.

The love interests were pretty okay. Trevor was all super-cliched and stuff, witty and quirky and just pretty much perfect, but Drew was pretty different for a "love interest". His superpower helped him in that aspect, I think. I still don't get a lot of that. 

So let's just compare the two guys. I just have to okay. For myself. 

Trevor: Cute, super nice and sweet and understanding and funny and perfect and wonderful and-
You get the picture.

Drew: Jock, hot, kinda nice but sorta manipulative and stuff. Guy of all girls' dreams.

So you see. It's either you go with the jerk jock or the cliched nice boy. THERE IS NO WAY OUT. 

So while a lot of it was crappy relationship building, typical super sweetness, there was a side plot ohohohoho. That part was confusing to me and was a bit overlooked although it became a major turning point of the book. It added a more adult side to the book, though it wasn't explored that deeply. No I'm not telling.

I liked the descriptions of the Compound, with all the people with superpowers and superhero school and stuff. Though Addie (like most female main characters) had a super special power that no one else knows about that wasn't really relevant to the plot. It was fine. Whatever. That's one of the reasons why I loved Drew's storyline more. His manipulation was also a really interesting part of the book. It focused more on the supernatural aspect of the book and I loved it. 

Trevor's storyline revolved around more mundane problems, romance, group outings, unwelcome advances and flirting and all that mushy stuff. I didn't mind it really.

So overall this book was cheerful (expect the end but I'm not spoiling that oh no) and it surprised me mostly. 

I really have to start writing these reviews with a clear head.


Grade: B+. Pretty decent book. Unique. Used a few cliches that I didn't like but otherwise cool. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want my opinion on anything, or want to share your opinion on anything I've said, comment below!