Tuesday 23 April 2013

Book Review: Altered by Jennifer Rush

I have
Opinions
on this book.

Title: Altered
Author: Jennifer Rush




Synopsis: 

Anna's father is a scientist who leads a branch of research: studying and monitoring four genetically altered boys in a lab underground. Anna befriends the boys, Nick, Cas, Trev...and Sam, who's stolen her heart. When the boys are to be removed from the lab, the boys escape with Anna. On the run, they are faced with a problem: None of the guys have memories of life before the lab. Now they must work to decipher a code that could lead them to safety and uncover the truth of their past. 




Review:

Honestly? I was kind of disappointed. 

I mean, the plot was wickedly original and packed with action...in the second half. This might be because I was reading it on my phone, but for the first half of the book, I was just confused. The characters are barely introduced and it takes a while for you to figure out exactly what's going on. 

The mystery was intriguing, if more than a little predictable. I mean, a code with only V, X and I? How could you not guess? You do get frustrated with these characters. But the circumstances that these characters are under make it forgivable and their frustrating behavior usually has a meaning. That was one of my favorite things about this book--everything seemed to happen for a reason. I never got the feeling that a scene was completely irrelevant or was just dead weight. 

The romance was another iffy factor for me. *this is really a major spoiler you shouldn't read this if you haven't read the book* We discover that Sam was the boyfriend of Anna's older sister (they're roughly the same age now because Sam ages slower) but they just don't seem to have any issues with making out and falling in love with each other. I mean, that's probably one of the only parts that had me tearing my hair out. Wouldn't it just be at least a little awkward? *end spoiler*

What I did love about this book was the action. I know I say this a lot, but the fighting in this story felt real. I was just in the moment. After reading it, I felt like kicking some serious ass myself. So plus point there. The banter between Anna and Cas was hilarious too. 

[And I'm sorry. Sam? Cas? Anna? Is nobody seeing the Supernatural references here?]

Grade: B+ Pretty good. Give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want my opinion on anything, or want to share your opinion on anything I've said, comment below!