Wednesday 17 July 2013

Movie Review: Despicable Me 2 (2013)

You know I would review Monsters University except I didn't watch it. I would have watched it but my sister already did so we ended up watching Despicable Me. Seriously these intros need to be more related to the thing I'm reviewing. But I guess I feel the need to give you a commentary so whatever.

Title: Despicable Me 2 (2013)
Directors: Pierre Coofin, Chris Renaud
Genre: Comedy, Cartoon, Just pure awesomeness ok
Release Date: 3 July 2013 (USA)
Warnings: This is a family movie so it's fine. If you're scared of overwhleming cliches, parody or not, and of watching animated characters get electrocuted, and of giant carnivorous purple fluffy minions, go ahead and censor.
Starring: Steve Carell, Kristen Wiig, Benjamin Bratt, Miranda Cosgrove, Russel Brand





Synopsis:

Gru, having retired as a villain, is enjoying life raising the three girls, until because of his ex-villain status, he is recruited to hunt down the villain behind a scheme to take over the world. 


Review:

You know, movies need to have better official synopsis'. Really.

So I watched this movie without watching any trailers or read any reviews. So I didn't really expect much. This movie wasn't too bad I think.

It was hilarious somewhat. While filling the plot with cliches and cutesy kid-movie stuffies, the movie did mock some of these cliches (example having a parody video at the end). It was reasonably predictable, though not the extent that I drowned in my predictions. 

Wow I really don't have much to say about this movie. I didn't really inspire many opinions in me. 

I think they've realized exactly how popular and cute the minions are and made them into an important plot device in the movie, while giving them plenty of time for the minions to be unnecessarily cute and have way too many minion scenes in which they're doing nothing, really. I guess all the in the name of advertising. On the negative side, I felt they were kind of over exploiting the popularity of the minions. Way too many unnecessary scenes involving them doing nothing in particular. 

Okay so this review's going to be super short. I have no idea what to say about it. 

I guess the idea of recruiting an ex-criminal to help with investigations was cool. Not totally unique (I mean, Silence of the Lambs people?) It was used for comedic effect, though I thought the whole giant co-operation thing (I forget the name) fell a bit flat since it hardly played any part in the movie at all despite all the buildup. However the romance angle was pretty interesting and quirky, not too cliched until RIGHT AT THE END WHERE GAH WHO CARES ABOUT BEING CLICHED ANYMORE. So the ending was cliched and predictable and OOOH level sweet. 

Can I talk about Antonio for a second? El Macho's hot little son who hits on Margo? He's voiced by Moises Arias. (Yes I totally flipped when I found out. I'm a huge fan I mean that guy...) and he was adorable. The little hair flicks, I'm not gushing so much as admiting the authenticity of his actions and mannerisms. Loved it. 

So... that's it. I've been sitting on this review for way too long.

Grade: B. Pretty hilarious movie tbh but you know, there were things I didn't like. 



1 comment:

If you want my opinion on anything, or want to share your opinion on anything I've said, comment below!