Wednesday 1 May 2013

Book Review: Pretty Girl Thirteen by Liz Coley

I'm sleep deprived here. Because of this book....

Title: Pretty Girl Thirteen (Also Pretty Girl 13)
Author: Liz Coley




Synopsis:

Thirteen-year-old Angela went out for a Girl Scout trip-and never came home. Three years later, she returns home with no memory of her kidnapping. In her mind, she's still the thirteen-year-old who left home for a short trip. As she deals with the time lapse, she begins to unfold the mystery of her kidnapping the trauma she went through in those three years. 


Review:

Firstly, if you haven't read this, I would rate it a PG13 or above. There are a few mature issues discussed such as rape and child abuse. 

____
As I mentioned before, this book left me sleep-deprived. I finished it around 12 last night, and after that couldn't sleep for an hour. This book discusses some topics that made me really emotional (I couldn't relate to it, but i was written so that I could feel her emotions). 

From the first chapter you're hooked. I certainly was. The story unfolds slowly and you want to keep reading to find out what happens to Angela. While nothing really comes as a surprise, you feel the need to keep turning the page to find out what happens. 

I got really attached to the characters reading this. This is mostly about her internal conflict, so we get to know Angela's character significantly more, while a lot of the other characters are stereotypical (example Greg). But I think that the reasons for her defense mechanism were convincing and added drama to the plot. (I mean, a whole lot of drama. There was me writhing in agony on my bed as I read some parts. In a good way, of course)

Some parts I disliked: 
The coincidence of it all. I mean, what are the odds of that sort of thing happening to a girl. I mean, a kidnapping is enough, but the Yuncle Bill plotline, while providing an excellent premise for her to develop the character she has at the beginning of the book, made the story unrealistic. Not that it decreased the excitement any. 

Also, the ending. It was a bit of a blur for me and really confusing. I just got a bit lost at that part. And Liz Coley's writing involves a lot more telling than showing, leaving it up to your imagination to convey the emotions behind the writing. While it was effective, it was just a minus point, the writing style. 

I'm sorry. I'm having trouble with my opinions on this book. But generally, great. Now I will return to sleep to sole the sleep-deprivation problem.

Grade: B. Good, with some flaws. Go ahead. *nudge*


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want my opinion on anything, or want to share your opinion on anything I've said, comment below!